Found Character Blog 01

 FOUND CHARACTER

As I was wondering about my room looking for characters to pop out at me, my eyes locked onto my bookbag scarf from the Masters.


I was really entranced by the pattern and how it felt like the white spaces were not just excess space, but that they were actually part of the pattern.


I began to experiment and see how I could use color blocks and blobs to make character outlines. The way the colors blocked around the white space made little alien creatures appear in the pattern.



When I was sketching I was thinking about how I could outline the characters to make them pop out. Was using one color better than multiple? Was having a soft line to show the character helpful or not?

When I looked at the pattern longer I started to see different types of aliens in the overlapping colors. These looked like Amung Us characters to me. But what I experimented with here was the ability to make different emotions without having distinct facial features.

Theory Behind The Charaters

The colors that you can see around the aliens represent their personalities. This is very similar to how people claim that humans have auras. The more relaxed and loose the alien is the more flowy and blended the colors around them will be. If an alien is tense or as we call them, Type A, then they have very defined color breaks and almost have a more boxy look to them. The little aliens display their emotions through their masks. More importantly, if they feel an extreme emotion then they absorb the color of the emotion they feel. Ex. Angry alien = Red features and body.


What I learned here is that colors can be used for more than just being a part of someone's clothes, skin, or hair. Color and patterns can actually be used to represent emotions and feelings.

Comments